How long do the FRC bridges last?
· The FRC bridges can last for many years as proved by the previous reports.
· Regular maintenance and frequent reviews are important.
· If any sharp edges or cracks are felt or detected it must be reported to the dentist. As
mentioned these bridges can be easily repaired in the dental chair with a simple
composite filling procedure.
What does the procedure involve?
Almost all cases of FibreBond splinting are completed without local anesthesia. A very
shallow groove is prepared on the lingual (inside) surface of the teeth, which are to be
splinted. The groove does not normally extend into the dentine of the teeth, but stays
within the enamel where the best bonding will be obtained. Placing rubber dam isolation
in these cases will simplify the procedure for both the dentist and the patient and is
What happens if I have already lost a tooth?
Another exciting benefit of the fibre bond periodontal splint is the possibility of replacing
a missing tooth by building up an artificial tooth, directly onto the fibre splint. There are
several methods of constructing a replacement tooth. In some cearfully selected cases the
patients own tooth can be bonded onto the fibre splint. In some cases the option of using
an acrylic denture tooth can also be bonded to the splint. It is also possible to use
Composite filling material to construct a replacement tooth. This composite tooth can
also be reinforced with everStick fibres.
What should I experience after treatment?
· During the first 48 hours after the Fibre reinforced composite treatment, you will experience
A feeling of tightness because the teeth are bonded together.
· The saliva glands might produce more saliva because of the new foreign object on the teeth.
· The speech might be very slightly affected ( only in rare cases where the front teeth were
· Any rough or sharp edges or points must be reported to the dentist during the follow up
appointment or before that.
What are the Terms and conditions for the treatment?
· All repairs to the splint/bridge, necessary will be done free of charge during the
first 12 months
· A regular visit (every 6 months) to the dentist for evaluation of the Splint/bridge
is very important.
· Three monthly visits to the Oral Hygienist are strongly recommended.
· Daily oral hygiene maintenance of the splint/bridge, as demonstrated to the
patients, can not b e emphasized enough